How to choose a crystal
There are a few ways you can choose a crystal, whether it’s your first or just the latest to add to your collection.
- Choose a crystal that you feel drawn to. This is one of our favourite ways because it all comes down to your own intuition!
Whether you’re in the room with crystals or browsing online, pick one that catches your eye. It might have a message or purpose for you that you don’t even know you need yet!
- Choose a crystal based on what you are struggling with. This struggle might be something physical or on a more energetic level.
For example, rose quartz is a good stone if you are going through a time of upheaval or intense stress, whereas amethyst is thought to aid with headaches and nervous tension.
- Choose a crystal based on what you want more of. For example, if you want more money, choose a crystal that is about abundance and finances. If it’s love you want, opt for a stone that is all about attracting love.
How to use your crystals
Now that you have a crystal, or two, or 20 (we don’t judge) - how do you actually use them?
A lot of this comes down to personal preference. Like any spiritual or energetic practice, crystals are best used in a way that feels supportive and healing for you. But to get you started, let’s look at some ways that you can use your crystals.
- Hold them when you need a little bit of support or reassurance
- Use them as part of your meditation and/or yoga practice
- Pop one in your bra for all-day support (just remember to take it out before throwing it in the wash!)
- Keep it in your wallet or purse - a good option for abundance crystals!
- Take a bath with them - you can put them in the water (check whether your crystal of choice is waterproof first), or simply put them on the edge of the bath along with a candle or two
- Decorate your space with them - have a couple on your desk, a pile in a favourite dish with your rings, or even use a large crystal or tower as a centrepiece on the mantel!
- Pop a calming crystal or two into the bottom side of your pillowcase
- Use them as an energy cleanser - this might be your own energy, or the energy of tools such as your oracle cards. They are a great alternative if you can’t light up a smudge stick all the time!
- Nestle them up with your plants - just make sure that you don’t accidentally water them if they aren’t water-safe crystals!
How to cleanse your crystals
Just like uses, there are a few ways to cleanse your crystals. Remember that if your crystals aren’t a type that can be used in water, use one of the other cleansing methods!
- Put them outside or on a windowsill on a full moon to recharge.
- Use the rain as a way to cleanse them with water, or soak them in a bowl of salt water
- Smudge them with a sage stick or some palo santo. If you don’t have any handy, use a candle for a quick cleanse by fire!
- Bury them underground for 24 hours. This allows the earth to absorb any unwanted energy and refresh the crystals.
- Use a cleansing crystal. For example, you can lay your crystals on a selenite tower, and the selenite can clear the energy of the other crystals.
When should you cleanse your crystals?
There are a few times that it is recommended to cleanse your crystals.
When you first purchase your crystals and bring them home, it’s a good idea to cleanse them of any energies they might have picked up. You might also want to cleanse them if you’re going through intense or difficult times and are in need of as much positive energy.
Ideally, you want to cleanse them on a regular basis - once a month is a good guide to start with. That way, they’re always ready to go when you need their gentle support.